Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On "Counting" by Alistair Reid

            I picked to write about the piece, “Counting” by Alistair Reid largely because I have, like so many others, been a fan of “Curiosity” and have been working quotes of his into casual conversation for years.  When the poem popped up on my screen, the first thing that I noticed was the three column format, each lined up across from the other and extending down ten lines.  Three columns, ten lines.  Counting.
            The first column from the left, when read all the way down, reads, “Ounce/ Dice/ Trice/ Quartz/ Quince/ Sago/ Serpent/ Oxygen/ Nitrogen/ Denim”  I don’t know how many of you speak German, I don’t, save for the numbers one through ten.  These lines, especially when spoken bear a striking resemblance to the sounds of the German numbers, to me at least.  I don’t speak many other languages, and I wondered of there were more similarities to the sounds and feeling of these words to the words assigned to numbers in other languages. 
            Having this similarity in mind, I went to column two; “Instant/ Distant/ Tryst, Catalyst/ Quest/ Sycamore/ Sophomore/ Oculist/ Novelist/ Dentist” and column three, “Archery/ Butchery/ Treachery/ Taproom/ Tomb/ Sermon/ Cinnamon/ Apron/ Nunnery/ Density”  After a cursory googling to find out what languages these words might be meant to resemble and coming up empty, I realized that what language didn’t matter to the meaning of the piece. 
            I got to thinking about words.  A professor, for those of you who have had him, you will know; keeps saying in a class of mine that all words are metaphors.  All languages assign a different combination of letters that forms a word that means something to the people who speak that language.  Does a dog change if it is called a perro?  Words only have the power that we give them.
            I really want to take that away with me into my work.  Reid uses different sounds and words and with the title he implies that the speaker is counting.  One to ten.  Three columns.  Counting.  Is he asking us as readers to examine why we associate words with meanings?  Maybe we should assess the power given to arbitrary groupings, words, of arbitrary shapes, letters? 
            I don’t think that a so-called traditional form would have had the impact that the three column format has with this poem.  If the intent of the author is indeed to playful question the meanings and forms of words, the non-traditional style complements those aims.  If Reid wants us to be curious (!) which I think he does, exploratory style puts the reader in that frame of mind.  We want to know what is going on in this poem.  Why is it weird? 

Face it. Curiosity
will not cause us to die--
only lack of it will.
Never to want to see
the other side of the hill
or that improbable country
where living is an idyll
(although a probable hell)
would kill us all.

Only the curious have, if they live, a tale
worth telling at all.
-A. Reid              

2 comments:

  1. Maria,
    I really enjoyed reading this poem as well. I still really do not know what the words mean or if they are even technically 'real' words in some language but I think that any poem that makes us think beyond the simple words on the page is a strong poem. I really enjoyed that you added in a poem from Reid at the end. Beautiful selection...I think that you also address something important that i had not thought of all to much which is the idea of curiosity. When considering what a reader/viewer needs to bring to a experimental poem I immediately thought of imagination and creativity but curiosity is something very striking and holds strong for myself and many other students because we are in a state of expansion and learning-thus curiosity plays a large role in the way we react and view pieces such as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you put pieces of the poem in the blog. This was helpful. I think you might be onto something with the significance of words and what they mean to us. While I have never studied German either I like how you went and tried to find out what the meanings of the words could be.

    ReplyDelete