Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reseach Project Plan

I have been consistently inspired by Alastair Reid this semester and I would like to keep going with that for my research project.  I would like to explore more of the context; what was happening when he was writing?  What, or who, inspired his work?  What other work does he have?  What is he writing now?  I really appreciate how whimsical his work is.  I have been feeling stifled lately by the expectation that poetry must have some serious, profound extended metaphor.  Poetry can be profound while being fun.  Reid proves that there is wit in whimsy.
I read that Reid was still alive and I think I might write to him, see what he says.  In the course of my research, I want to read more of his work, what other scholars have said about his work, and what he has written about other people's work.
The first draft of the paper is due November 11.  I will send out a letter, or some form of communication, to Reid right away.  My plan is to read one journal article a week, depending on what I can find.  Reid has five original books of verse, he has done more translations, and I would like to have at least two of those from different points in his time-line to draw from.       

1 comment:

  1. And have you sent that letter yet, in between the important work of canvassing and phone-banking? (Thank you again for doing all that.) Whimsy is as important topic as any to bring into the mix, and Reid does use whimsy as well as other "non-serious" approaches in his writing that I hope you find intriguing....

    ReplyDelete